Years ago when I started my second masters I was working while getting the degree so financial aid was all I needed. When I decided that I needed to be a full-time doctoral student, financial aid was not going to cut it — I would need some form of income to keep us afloat. Thankfully I’ve been graced with an assistantship for my years of coursework but I have kept my eye out on what options I have for additional funding.
Here are a few that I’m aware of and over the course of the year I’m sure I will add more since I will definitely be on the search since my dissertation year is soon approaching. If you know of others please comment them and I’ll add accordingly.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) – Main list of AERA funding opportunities within educational research.
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Program – Geared for students intending to work in academia (research/teach). They have awards based on the different stages of doctoral students – predoctoral, dissertation, and postdoctoral. NOTE – check what degrees they accept prior to applying.
- Jack Kent Cooke Dissertation Fellowship – Geared for doctoral students in dissertation stage (already defended proposal) and have a financial need.
- Southern Regional Education Board – They have awards for doctoral coursework and for dissertation work. Specifically for minorities pursuing a STEM discipline and intend on working in academia (research/teach).
Undergraduate and Vocational Scholarships
- Jeanette Rankin Foundation – Geared for low-income females over the age of 35 pursuing a technical or vocational education, an associate’s degree, or a first bachelor’s degree.
- Patsy Takemoto Mink – Offers $2000 scholarships for low-income women with children each year.
- Soroptomist Women’s Opportunity Award – From what I reviewed, provides awards starting at $3000+ to help women (financially support their family) improve their education and careers.
Searchable Funding Databases (graduate degrees)
- Cornell Database – Allows you to select discipline and degree to review potential funding options.
- AAUW Funding Awards – Lists the various forms of funding awards that American Association of University Women provides for various level of students.